Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Because Stephen Colbert is already married.

It all started when, after I had taken cookies or some other baked good to work, someone remarked on what a good wife I would make.

My response: "What's in it for me?" And I meant it. I can't really see an upside, for me personally, to being one half of a couple.

It's only recently that I started to truly embrace my identity as a spinster. For one thing, when I was in my twenties, I think I figured I would change my mind when I got older. That biological clock would start to tick, I was sure. A friend once mentioned to me that hers was ticking, and described the longing she felt whenever she would see a baby or small child. I thought about it, and realized that I feel something similar when I see a puppy, but babies I can take or leave.

I just turned 32, which is the same age as Meg Ryan's character in When Harry Met Sally when Sally and Harry have this conversation:
Sally: No, no, no, I drove him away. AND, I'm gonna be forty.
Harry: When?
Sally: Someday.
Harry: In eight years.
Sally: But it's there. It's just sitting there, like some big dead end. And it's not the same for men. Charlie Chaplin had kids when he was 73.

Unlike Sally, I don't feel the pressure to find a partner so I can have kids. Sure, there are other aspects of my life that I would have liked to be farther along by now, but all in all, I'm doing okay. I'm working on a novel and as of today I'm pretty pleased with the progress I'm making; I don't love my job, but in this economy it's nothing to turn my nose up at; and I finished a marathon last weekend (okay, it was a half marathon, and I walked, but still); and I have wonderful friends and family.

I do wish my career and my ass were both in better shape, and that I wasn't starting to get gray hair and tiny wrinkles under my eyes. But can a husband help me with these things? Not unless he has multiple careers as a life coach, personal trainer, plastic surgeon, and colorist.

The gist, I suppose, is that I am a whole, fulfilled person without a partner. Not that I look down on people who are part of a couple. I don't look at my married/committed friends and think "Ooh, boy. She'd sure be better off single." However, I'm quite certain it's not the right lifestyle choice for me.

Who knows? I might change my mind someday. But since I am definitely not budging about never ever being a mommy (that is a post for another day), there's no rush, is there?

5 comments:

Poppy said...

Yay Amy! I love your blog! And I am very excited to hear that you are writing a book--I will definitely want to read it when it's finished!

Sarah

PS--I am TOTALLY with you on the puppy longing/no baby desire thing!!!

Poppy said...

By the way, Poppy = Sarah D-G

Thinposter said...

Thanks, Sarah!

Heh. I figured it was you. But thanks for clearing that up.

Because if this were actually Poppy posting, the puppy/baby longing would be the same thing, now wouldn't it.

Magnoire La Chouette said...

Yup!
I totally agree on the puppy/animal thing!!
When I got my baby guinea pig, that was it for human babies!
My biological clock has been on snooze so long it broke!

Unknown said...

It is so great that others feel the same way. People keep telling me I will change my mind, but never had a biological clock and am glad! It is inspirational to see someone embrace modern spinster life! I am definitely finding the wonderfulness of it all!

I have cats, and I admit there is a bit of "I don't want to be the cat lady" then I thought screw that, I like cats and I am a lady! hehe.